True Story: The Conversation

 Welcome to my newest True Story episode! 

I hope you enjoy this one-minute read to experience a slice out of a really weird life.

Here goes: 

True Story

"The Conversation"

 I was ripped abruptly out of night's velvet embrace by the sound of my husband's voice. 

"What did you just say?" I asked, using a quiet, almost-whisper voice. It is the tone I pull out of the hat for midnight conversations, funerals, church, and gossip. 

"I was answering you," said Keith. 

I sat up in bed and peer at his lumpy man-shadow next to me in the bed. "What answer? I wasn't saying anything. I was sleeping." 

Keith has been known to say some very strange things when he is half-asleep. I plan to reveal a few of those with time. On this occasion, he just burrowed further into his pillow and mumbled, "Yes, you were. You were talking in your sleep and I was answering you." 

"So ... what you're saying is ... we are just two sleep-talkers having a conversation?" 

His breathing evened out ..."Mm-hm ..." he grunted an affirmation before he dropped back off to sleep. 

I laid back down. Two sleep-talkers having a conversation. 

Two individuals -- dreaming separately -- having a conversation. 

Suddenly, I was wide awake and staring into the darkness. 

I fumbled with my cell phone so I could type the concept into the Notes app on my phone. 

My mental hamster just jumped upon the wheel. His teeny legs were pumping away. 

Dang it! Sometimes I really hate the curse of being a writer.

Thanks, Keith. 

The End

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday, I wrote a word

Watch out for wandering minds and hidden memory chips

The Story Hour Redux