Respecting the Voices

Hello to all fellow members of the Tribe,

 I hope you all made it through another week with the daily grind and still managed to eek out some creative moments to nourish your souls. 

As you all are well aware ... (or all five of you that read this blog -ha!) this blog has evolved into a weekly discussion about my creative meanderings. It is my hope that you all can relate ... that you'll see my struggles and humor and know exactly what I am talking about. 

I have heard so many writers refer to the ideas that come to them as "voices" in their heads. I can really relate to that. I have always thought of it that way, too. 

Here's how the process works for me: It starts with a vision - usually just a scene. 

For instance, In my fantasy short story, "Viridis," I had an image of this magical place where the gods reside. A place where humans couldn't view it except through special glasses because our fragile minds could not handle what we were really seeing without the protection of the rose colored lenses. I had a related image of this goddess who made the sun rise every morning ... and the vision persisted ... it kept coming to me until I finally penned the story. 

(**Viridis" was First published in EOTU Ezine in April/2003; Published again as a reprint in Sounds of the Night  magazine in Feb./2010- Sams Dot Publishing)

That is an example of the "voices" I hear and how they end up becoming alive. After the story is written, the "voices" or "visions" finally quiet down. 

While that beginning is a major rush, it takes hard work to get those visions into a viable form. And, who wants that?! I mean -- YUCK! 

Yet ... still ... even when working hard on a story ... there's a sense of power ... You know what I'm talking about - when you're in "the zone" and the story is pouring into your head and out through your hands like some kind of freaky divine download. In those moments you are The Creator. 

And yet, we let distractions get in the way. For instance, during the course of writing this blog ... I have taken an inordinate amount of time with breaks to answer messages, check another email account, and Google stuff ... I also stopped to talk to my husband about what he's doing on Facebook. (He was sharing gossip ... why people want to air dirty laundry in a public forum is beyond me ....) See what I mean? Distractions!

Those voices and/or visions will never be given life if you don't show them the respect they deserve. You have been  given a gift of tremendous power. Don't waste it all day on Twitter. Write now. Tweet about it later. 

That's all I have to say for now, ya'll. 

Hugs all around! 

Until next time,
L.A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday, I wrote a word

Watch out for wandering minds and hidden memory chips

The Story Hour Redux