Writing and ADHD Do NOT Mix

So, I struggle every single day with the strong desire to be lazy. Every. Single. Day. I have all these delusions of grandeur in which I am the star in my own Successful Author Nationally Televised Interview fantasy. (It's one of my favorites.) I am interviewed about where I get my ideas and how did I get so brilliant ... and so on. (**Pauses here to indulge in the fantasy because now it's on my mind.) 

Where was I? Oh, yeah. Laziness. Okay, to be fair, I am really quite hard-working BUT my hard work is usually motivated by things such as when someone is paying me, when I am being chased by zombies (or rabid political activists - no matter whether they come running at me from the left or the right), when being forced out of guilt, OR by a deadline. 

Passive activities are usually my activities of choice if left to my own devices. There are things in which I love the end results, but do not like the work involved to get there. These "things" include exercising and writing. When I attempt to sit down and write, I find that I must limit distractions. I will sit down to write and ... then find I am suddenly ADHD. Suddenly, I'd rather get up and clean the bathroom, or sing with the music I chose to play, or get on facebook, or play on Pinterest, or ... well, insert pretty much ANY other activity that does NOT require huge amounts of concentration. Writing requires just that -- major concentration. 

Over the past few months, I was asked to lead some writing workshops. In the course of developing a curriculum for the workshop, I had to figure out where to begin! Well, begin with the beginning, of COURSE. Duh. Our modern lives are so distracting. We cannot sit still without having SOMETHING to do. We are terrified of silence -- of being left alone with our thoughts. It can be an almost insurmountable task to clear out all the noise and settle in to go within our own heads and produce SOMETHING. I developed a series of exercises to help writers get into the moment ... to settle down and get into writing mode.

One of those exercises involves "getting into the moment." It begins with silence. Give yourself at least three minutes of silence as complete as you can possibly get it. Close your eyes. Take deep breaths ... bring yourself into the NOW (a state in which we do not often really exist). Take note of your surroundings slowly and methodically. Notice where you are sitting. Are you hot? Cold? How is the place where you are seated? Is there a window? Do you feel warmth on your skin from sunlight? Is there a clock ticking? Do you hear the fan in your computer kicking in? What subtle noises are taking place around you. Bring yourself -- your focus, you concentration -- under control. 

Open your eyes ... you have taken the first step to begin writing. 

Today, I will begin practicing what I preach. 

In other news: I had a new short story accepted for publication!! 

(Happy celebratory dancing begins. Now, it ends.) Time to get back to work. 

Enjoy your day, Dear Writer! 

Until next time ... let's keep each other writing! (Wait! Was that a squirrel? Oooooo .... )


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday, I wrote a word

Watch out for wandering minds and hidden memory chips

A Kid Named Larry