What is YOUR definition of Writing Success?

Well, hello again, Dear Writer, 

We really have to stop meeting like this. People are going to talk. Oh, well, I'll throw caution to the wind ... We need our time together and I really, really like spending time with you. After all, we have a lot in common, don't we?

Recently, I had ANOTHER vampire poem accepted for publication. The poem is called, "Lily." It's been so long since I have had so much accepted so close together that I am just about ready to turn cartwheels. (Whoa! THAT would be a sight!) This thought led me to an important question that someone once asked me regarding my writing. 

"What is YOUR definition of writing success?" 

This is so personal for each writer and it can change from one season of a writer's life to another. I am living proof of that. When I was in my twenties, I completely imagined myself as a female version of Stephen King. Um ... that was until I realized that I do NOT write like he does. I was in my thirties before I realized that my imagination and style of writing was unique to me. I had confused my admiration of him with the type of writer I wanted to be.

Everyone has an influence -- someone who inspired them to write. Stephen King was my influence. It was because of him that I knew without a doubt that I wanted to to be a writer. (I'll share that story in another blog.) 

This, brings me to my NEXT idea of what writing success should be. I thought my success would be measured by a best-selling novel and a some major royalties. I just KNEW I was going to be a household name. Umm ... that has OBVIOUSLY not happened.

One day, I was having lunch with some other writing friends, who were commenting on the fact that I was writing for a living. (For several years I was a staff writer -- a reporter and columnist -- for a local newspaper.) One friend said, "You know, there are some of us who would say you are living the dream. You are getting paid to write. What more can a writer ask for?" 

She had a point. However, I was still not satisfied. Perhaps, it was because I was not really getting published with the type of writing I really loved -- poetry and fiction. 

I have long since left the newspaper business. I have a regular job and I sell a poem or a short story here and there and I feel SO successful! It's crazy, I know. There is no way, that in anyone's stretch of imagination, that I could be called a "successful" writer ... unless, one's measure of success is the same was what mine has become. 

My definition of success in writing is to be able to actually do two things: 

1. WRITE! (Hello! FINISH some crap! You are not successful if your work stays in your head and doesn't make it to paper.) 

2. SHARE! Even if you're not published ... we writers all seem to have the same compulsion. We want to connect ... to share our creation with others. When I am not being published, I share my work with local writers. We read our work to each other. I am sharing ... others are hearing my work. In my opinion, that makes me successful. 

If you can do at least those two things - you are successful. After that, if you can get published and make a bit of cash with your work ...well, baby, that's just gravy. 

Okay ... I'm done rambling for now ... but you KNOW I cannot stay away from you. 

Until next time, my dears. 

Keep writing and consider yourselves hugged!

-- L.A.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday, I wrote a word

Watch out for wandering minds and hidden memory chips

A Kid Named Larry